Thursday, January 20, 2011

tulips
















This is the source of my joy today in this long dreary winter - see those 3 little sprouts? Well multiply that by 7 pots (and some have more bulbs than this pot!)...not to mention my flower bed as well. The point being, back in October I started a project.

 

I have always wanted to grow tulips. So I studied up. I bought all the right things. So finally, it was time to plant. This started in my living room. It was too cold and rainy to plant my potted tulips outdoors so I put a blanket down and went to it in the living room.

















I had learned you can force the tulips to grow indoors during winter if you incubate them outdoors for the necessary amount of time. I wanted to make sure I could bring the pots indoors in rounds to constantly have flowers starting in February, so I went a little crazy and planted more pots than I have room for in my house. Then I watered them and put them outside to get cold.
The next morning it was surprisingly sunny, so I planted the rest of the bulbs in my flowerbed. Yes, 75 bulbs in all between the pots and the flowerbed. I also panicked the first morning because one of my pots had been dug in. I soon learned I had an enemy - Mr. Raccoon. Oh well, after that night I was smarter and kept my flowers safe for the remainder of the incubation period.
Today was a blessedly sunny morning. I went outside to check my flowerpots because it has been long enough to start trying to force the blooms indoors. I was overjoyed to see the sprouts. I brought two of the pots inside, so we will see what happens!!

A single bloom I found by surprise.

I'm obsessed with tulips...if you couldn't tell...





























If you made it through my tulip ramblings, I commend you. I'm so eager for Spring.

love,
chianne

The thrill of tulips/two lips together <3



2 comments:

kelsea yetton said...

I love this post! I plan on starting to grow plants indoors too! Yay for bring spring into your house!

Just a Girl in a Port said...

Awww, tulips/two lips. Sweet. :)