Thursday, March 25, 2010

Week 5 - Deathstar

Sorry, I skipped week 4. Devin's letter that week was short. I was informed he was selected for the rifle drill team and became the watch coordinator for his company, which means he schedules when everyone does their watch. (I was told this means people are going to suck up to him, so that he doesn't give them bad watch shifts. I bet Devin is loving that....haha)

Today, I received this lovely self portrait from Devin, on what he's looking like nowadays. Apparently, he's bald, has crazy arm muscles, and a six pack. He also seems to have a pretty intense, "I mean business," facial expression...I'm glad he shared this picture with me.

His letters today (he sent 2) informed me that he passed all aspects of his physical test on the first try, passed his midterm exam with a 90%, and qualified for marksman (which is some sort of gun-firing qualification). I am so proud of him!! He said, "I do pretty well for myself," and I would definitely have to agree! He seems to be in good spirits, and is really anxious to find out where we will live. (Although by now, he DOES know, and he will get to let me know sometime this weekend.) He shared a story about how his sexuality is being questioned by one of his company commanders, BM1 Kruger, because of how Devin said, "Good night, Petty Officer Kruger." I don't know if they aren't supposed to say "good night", or if Devin said it in a manner that could be questionable. From Devin's hurried story, it seems as if he may have said "good night" that way on purpose. Knowing Devin's sense of humor and uncanny ability to make other men feel awkward, I bet he did do it on purpose. Haha. He mentioned that since then his new nickname has been "Deathstar" because his shipmates felt "the crap [he pulls] is gonna be the death of starboard [his breakdown group]." Devin has always been the class clown, so I expected once he knew his limits, he'd be sure to have a little fun. Thank you for all your support and prayers. Devin seems to be really encouraged.

They have started the fifth weeks calls for his company this evening, which is when they get to inform family where they will be stationed at. I can get the call anytime between now and Sunday. I'm really anxious to know! I will post once I know more.
Love,
Chianne

2 comments:

kelsea yetton said...

that sounds like Devin. (: Can't wait to hear where you're going!

kaylee said...

I smiled so big at this! Devin Devin Devin. AND NOW WE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING I AM EVEN HAPPIER. So excited for you guys all the time :)