Sunday, December 11, 2011

Beard beanie tutorial

I have been busy at work learning to crochet lately...all because Devin wanted a beard beanie, and I sure as heck didn't want to pay $50 for one. The first one I made was alright (see pic of Devin), but now that I got the hang of it, they are turning out nicely. I made a few as Christmas gifts. I could not find a tutorial online to do it, so I'm going to share how I did it.
*I am very new to crocheting, so if any of the steps seem confusing, just let me know*
The first not so great one.

Beard Beanie Tutorial
-Yarn for both the beanie and beard
-I/9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook
-4 buttons
For the beanie: I used this website for the beanie pattern. I did several less rows because I didn't want it to fold up. The beauty of doing it in a round is that you can pretty much stop whenever it's long enough. I will make note that I made one of the beanies using a J hook and it produced the same great beanie but a little larger.

For the beard
1. Row 1-Make a slip knot. Using the I hook chain 45 sc.
2. Turning chain stitch. Skip 1 sc and continue the second row by working 1 sc into each sc in the chain. Make sure you have 45 stitches.
3. Repeat for rows 3-13 (you can adjust this if you want a thinner or thicker beard) *Make sure to do a turning chain at the end of each row or you will drop stitches, and your beard will start to look like a pyramid.
4. Row 14 - work 15 sc stitches just as you had for the other rows.
5. After the 15th stitch you are going to chain for 15 stitches not connecting to the beard.
6. Slip stitch the chain into stitch 30 of row 13.
7. Work sc into each stitch on the beard until the end of the row (stitches 31-45)
8. Row 15-16 - continue sc into the previous row. When you get to the disconnected 15 stitches, continue as normal working sc in each stitch. After the 16th row is complete, tie it off.
9. Finish by attaching a button on each corner of the beard. The beard can now be attached by putting the buttons into any of the holes in the beanie which is great for adjusting to different faces! Please don't copy this tutorial without citing back to my blog. Thank you!

Enjoy.
-chianne

Me with a beard :)

No comments: