Monday, May 9, 2011

progress so far...

I'm happy to report that since we started our saving and debt killing journey, we have been making much more progress than we ever have before. Staying on a cash budget is proving more difficult than we thought with Devin being away. However, since we started we have a baby emergency fund of $1000 saved (we have never saved that much ever!), and have saved a great chunk of money for a trip to Las Vegas to watch my brother graduate this summer. (I know we could kill a bunch of debt super fast by NOT going on the trip, but frankly, I need to see some sunshine, Devin needs to get away from that boat, and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to watch my little brother graduate.)
I have paid off one credit card completely and am taking chunks off the next one. All in all, we have paid off over $1100 in debt since starting this journey. It's been over 3 months since we started this so maybe this doesn't seem like a huge chunk to you, but trust me, if you knew how much we made, this is amazing. (and if you are really nosey and want to know, military pay charts are public.) I would have never thought I would be able to say in 3 months I had found that much extra to put towards savings and debt. Now lately, I have been making more at my job due to some management changes, but most of this we had accomplished before the management shift. I will get to kill a second credit card by the end of this month. WOO-HOO!
I think my mom is sick of me talking about savings and debt every time we talk on the phone, so now you get to hear about it...whoever you are.

No comments: